Friday, May 01, 2015

Byte: Elite: Dangerous - So you want to be... a role-playing game guide series

A few days ago on Google Hangouts I received a request from a Elite: Dangerous Commander to who'd read some of my other guides to suggest a few ship loadouts for the Eagle, Viper and Cobra for a budding bounty hunter. After I'd finished being flattered by the concept that some random stranger on the internets would actively seek out my opinion on the matter, Commander Gnasher Slasher's request seeded the thought of an idea for a new series of E:D game guides. It's a bit more of a traditional extension of the Your Dream Ship guides I wrote over Easter.
Screenshot_0748
The beauty of Elite: Dangerous is that there isn't one "right" way to play the game. You can find your own niche and play in a way that suits your personality and playstyle. In many ways, sandbox games like E:D are the purest form of role-playing games, because you're not straightjacketed into a single restrictive playstyle by a character class - you can really mix it up and even change the way you play over time. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to post role-playing guides for the main character archetypes you can assume in playing Elite: Dangerous. If you think I've missed any potential roles you'd like me to write about, please feel free to make suggestions in the comments. Here are the game roles I'm going to write about - though not necessarily in the order I'll publish them:

Bounty Hunter (FSD Interdictor)
Bounty Hunter (RES Prowler)
Explorer
Trader
Pirate
Smuggler
Miner
Assassin
Mercenary
Courier
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Screenshot_0645

So keep your eyes peeled over the next couple of weeks - I'm going to start writing the first guide tonight, so it should be online before the end of the long weekend. As ever, thanks for reading - my traffic stats continue to amaze me (35,900+ hits last month, alone) and the kind comments really are appreciated.
Post a Comment