Friday, July 08, 2011

Bark: Round up

It's been a rather epic couple of weeks since I last posted. In the last ten days or so I have passed my NQT year, been told that I don't actually have Lyme disease (just some other horrible tick-borne bacterial infection), acquired the latest albums by Moby and Mogwai and signed up for two interesting looking practical art courses at Art In Action, which will be kick-starting my summer holiday in a fortnight's time.

It's hard to believe that there are only two weeks of the academic year left - and that it's now over two years since I left IBM. The time has absolutely flown by, and I don't regret the change at all. Sure, the 30% pay cut was and is increasingly painful, given the escalation of living costs at the moment, but I'm feeling much more fulfilled in my job than when I was stuck working home-alone, shunting numbers around spreadsheets for 10 hours a day. And that sense of job satisfaction is easily worth the pay cut, because there's no point being well-paid if you're miserable in your job. The holidays help too, of course. That and the fact that as a science teacher I get paid to blow shit up and play with all sorts of lovely kit and experiments. The only better job I can think of at the moment is being a pyrotechnician in a special effects company (where you get to blow shit up on an industrial scale). The other thing that's surprised me is that for a self-confessed misanthrope and borderline sociopath, I actually really like working with kids. They can be dumb and exasperating as hell sometimes, but they're never dull and they're often funny, inspired and insightful. So while I'm horribly tired and in desperate need of my summer break, I am looking forward to next year, especially since I'll be much more of a known quantity in the school.

Tomorrow I'll be in London looking for a bit of extra inspiration and more ideas to take into the classroom with me, as I'll be visiting the Royal Society Summer Science expo, which I've been looking forward to for a couple of weeks, since one of my colleagues told me about it. I'm told there's a lot of hands-on stuff, plus the opportunity to pick the brains of some of the scientists behind the research. I'm particularly looking forward to having a poke at the aurora and fundamental particles exhibitions. Fingers crossed, I'll be able to pick up a few posters and resources to decorate my lab and use in lessons. I'm guessing that the place will probably be crawling with teachers - it'll be interesting to see if I bump into any of my old PGCE cohort while I'm there...

More blogging later, but first, I need to make the most of my Friday night by doing some gaming... I can't keep my teacher brain turned on this late on a Friday. IT IS NOT PERMITTED.
Post a Comment