Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bark: All quiet on the Eastern Front

Apologies for the lack of activity here over the last few weeks and months. Things are very much hotting up on the teacher training front and I barely have time for the niceties of things like eating and sleep, let along gaming and blogging.

I've been averaging less than five hours sleep a night for the last month and I'm working about 16 hours a day (though I get to take a break on weekends - I only work 12 hours a day then), so I'm pretty much dead on my feet. Where they expect me to find the time to apply for jobs and finish writing my essay assignments, I have no idea...

I used to think I worked pretty hard as a corporate slave, but it doesn't even compare to the workload you have as a trainee teacher. It's easily the hardest work I've ever done, but at least I'm still enjoying it in the main. Everyone in the department is wonderfully supportive, understanding and helpful - even the kids are great for the most part. The only group I'm really having trouble with are my Year 8, who - bless them - aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box. There are some lovely characters in there, but they do like to make life hard for themselves (and me). So I'm being thoroughly evil with them, so they remember just who is in charge. I almost reduced one of them to tears in our lesson on Friday, because I sent him out for swinging a stopwatch about by its string while I was attempting to explain something to the class. It's the first time I've ever had to send someone out of a lesson, but at least it had the desired effect. They will learn... eventually.

I'm going to have a little "me time" over the Easter break, where I will be able to do a bit of gaming and writing, so expect to hear about my adventures with Miranda, Tali and Jack in Mass Effect 2 that I have managed to squeeze into my Friday nights over the last month or two, plus a few raging laments about the rubbishness of the DLC system in the PC version of Dragon Age. Is it really too much ask that EA should be able to allow you to log into a system that allows you to download extra missions and content after you've already forked out the money to buy them with their godawful "BioWare Points"? Judging by my spectacular lack of success with it, apparently it is... Higher resolutions be damned. I don't have to put up with this kind of rubbish on the 360... but that's a story for another time, when I don't still have another three lessons to plan before I go to bed.
Post a Comment