Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Byte: Oh, the humanity!

The comments thread on this RPS piece almost had me wetting myself. Dr_Demento's is my favourite. Well, other than Tei's bizarre-o-comment, that is... Some people just don't understand the whole concept of satire. (though most of the people in the thread do, thankfully)

Maybe I'm veering into meta-commentary here, but the Onion's piece isn't just a satire on the content of videogames, but also the one-dimensional reporting of it in the news media. Anyone who was paying attention in the last 15 years would have known that The Onion is one of the most well-known news media parody sites out there. I really can't fathom how some people have been taking it seriously. Were they not keeping an eye on the headline ticker? No wonder the Daily Mail constantly get up the collective nose of gamers. They're such an overly defensive, poe-faced bunch at times.
Post a Comment