Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bark: A wholly inadequate response

:'(

J.G. Ballard has died.

Obituary.

Ballard has been one of my favourite authors over the last few years and one of my greatest influences as a nascent writer of fiction. Super-Cannes ranks up there as one of my very favourite books, and Crash is probably the most disturbing book I've ever read, so Ballard's work will always have an influence on the way I view our increasingly techno-obsessed society. He was one of the first people to see and make the connection that as our level of technological advancement as a civilisation increased, our standards as human beings seem to regress.

"Genius" and "visionary" are two very much over-used labels these days, but I believe that they can be applied to Jim Ballard in the most literal sense.

As a fantastic author, thinker and keen observer of the human condition, Ballard is going to be missed - not least by me.
Post a Comment