Monday, April 27, 2009

Bark: Hymn To The Immortal Wind

I've been spending much more money than usual on CDs lately, and my latest acquisition dropped through my letterbox from Play this morning.

My buddy Matija (a fellow former WoW player) tipped me off about these chaps a week or two back, and obviously, since my music tastes are about a decade behind most normal people, I'd never heard of them. Mono are a Japanese post-rock band, who've apparently been fairly huge for around the last ten years. I picked up Hymn To The Immortal Wind after listening to a couple of its tracks on their Myspace site, and the album's really nice - kind of a cross between Mogwai and Michael Nyman. It's a very strong album: easy to listen to, yet lots of variation in mood, intensity and an imaginative use of instruments, blending the use of classical concert instruments with those of a modern rock band. Some tracks (especially Ashes In The Snow, The Battle To Heaven and Follow The Map) are hauntingly beautiful. It'll be keeping me happy while I code macros for the rest of the week, I'm sure.

At the weekend I also picked up some Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen, simply because it's about bloody time I did, frankly. Yeah, that's how behind I am. Give me another decade and I might finally get around to buying some Franz Ferdinand...
Post a Comment