Monday, March 23, 2009

Bark/Byte: Adaptation

Even after my miserable failure at NaNoWriMo last year, I've decided to join this year's Script Frenzy, where the idea is to write a 100 page script (for TV, film, stage, radio or even a comic) within the 30 days of April.

I've always wanted to try my hand at screenwriting, but a 100 page script in 30 days is quite a tall order to take on, so rather than try to attempt writing an original script in that time, I'm going to take Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and try to adapt it for the screen.

Why? Because it's one of my favourite games ever, and there basically has never been a decent film made of a videogame. And it would be nice to think that I could at least out-do Uwe Boll in terms of quality. Though given my total lack of experience at script writing, that's no guaranteed thing...

I also decided it would be a good idea to write an adapted screenplay, rather than an original one, because it takes out at least 50% of the effort of coming up with a story and a structure for the script. Obviously, trying to pack 25+ hours of game into a 100 page script is going to take some doing, but at least I don't have to worry too much about creating a plot and characters from scratch.

I will undoubtedly have to take quite a few liberties with the original story (particularly in terms of the stuff I'll have to cut), but that's part of the fun and the challenge.

April is also looking like a good month for me to get my head down and do some writing. WoW has ceased to be a factor as a time-sink lately, and my lady is also off to see her parents for 10-12 days over Easter, so I should really be able to use that time to get cracking on the keyboard.

Fingers crossed I'll make better progress with the script than with my NaNoWriMo novel (I've still got to make some time to really go back to that and try and make more headway with it), but I'm looking forward to doing some serious writing over the next couple of months. I really need it right now as a cathartic outlet.
Post a Comment