Thursday, November 27, 2008

Byte: Wait, it gets better!

I finally got around to cracking the top off my PC today to swap over my graphics cards to see if there was a reason the SLI has stopped working on my rig, and it would appear that one of my video cards is borked. It's not an issue with the slots on the motherboard, because the card that was working in PCI-E Slot 1 now works in PCI-E Slot 2, and the card which I moved to Slot 1 is definitely not being detected and just gives me a blank signal when I try to use it.

So that leaves me in a bit of a quandary. Do I just buy an identical graphics card to get the SLI working properly again, buy two new cards to upgrade and find someone to give my one functional card a good home? And if I upgrade, should I upgrade my CPU to the fastest the motherboard can handle as well? Or should I just say to hell with it all and just buy an entirely new PC? (Intel i7 quad-core 2.66GHz, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Vista and a 1024MB GeForce 9800 GT is the kind of spec I'm thinking of)

The first options are certainly cheaper, but the last one is definitely the most tempting. Oh boy. Who'd be a PC gamer, eh?
Post a Comment