Friday, November 07, 2008

Bark/Byte: Full speed ahead, Mr Cohen!

(For those of you who don't get the reference)

Last night was spent doing two things. Firstly, getting my Hunter, Yonn, up to a mighty level 68, questing in Blade's Edge Mountains. He and his devilsaur, Brian (yes, I went there), are proving to be a formidable team. One of the quests in Blades Edge requires you to knock off some ogre clan leaders; each of whom being protected by a pair of hard-as-nails Elite bodyguards. Bearing in mind that Yonn and Brian were only level 67 at this point, and the bodyguards were level 66 Elites (meaning that they had roughly 26,000 hit points EACH - the new patch actually allows you to see how many hitpoints a selected mob has now, rather than a percentage figure), being able to knock them both off simultaneously is pretty freaking spectacular. Of course, it required the judicious usage of Freezing Traps to be able to concentrate on one of the Elites at a time, Mend Pet to top up Brian's health bar, plenty of arrows and the odd Feigned Death, but we were never really at serious risk of wiping. Things get even more impressive with normal mobs: taking five at once is barely even mildly taxing. More than that and you'd struggle to cope with the aggro management, but still, being outnumbered 5-2 and coming away with nary a scratch is awesome. I should be able to get Yonn up to level 70 before too long - hopefully before Lich King goes live in a week. The thought of having two level 70 characters is almost mind boggling, but it's tantalisingly within reach now.

The second thing I did last night was stay up late to do a bit more writing on my NaNoWriMo book. I've been struggling a little at the tail end of this week to keep up momentum (especially with WoW screeching like a banshee in the corner, clamouring for attention) so I took a little time out last night to fully plan my timeline to give me a much clearer idea of where the plot is going. My timeline is still a little rough around the edges, but that's okay, considering that this is just a first draft after all. And it should help me pick up the pace over the weekend and hopefully surge over the 10k mark during the next week. I still don't think I'm going to get anywhere near the 50k target by the end of the month, but I'm hoping that at least having a more solid idea of where my story is headed and what my characters are like will make the whole thing a lot easier to write, and the words will start flowing more easily. He says, crossing his fingers...
Post a Comment