Thursday, August 14, 2008

Byte: A good idea or dangerous nostaglia?

I've been toying with the idea of buying up some internet real estate recently; the purpose of which I haven't quite sorted out in my head yet...

The whole catalyst behind this was me thinking about moving this blog to my own webspace and consolidating it with my old Ravings of Mad Iain blog, so that I have all my web-ramblings in one place, and possibly because I'm getting a little dissatisfied with the limits of the the Bark and Byte structure I've imposed on this blog and want to move on to something a bit more freeform. It's probably overkill buying a domain just to host a blog (though the rather enticing domain name blatantselfpublicist.com is still unregistered...), so I had the rather dangerous thought of whether I could use the site to host a forum as well.

I do occasionally miss not frequenting forums these days, but I'm never quite sure whether that's just rose-tinted nostalgia for the "glory" days of State or not. At points I remember that being involved with an internet forum is like being subjected to unanaethetised dental surgery carried out by an LSD-soaked chimp armed with a claw hammer, so I do question the wisdom of the thought of starting one up again. Running an internet forum properly (that is, smothering it with enough dictatorial love to prevent it from exploding into a ball of fractious neuroses) eats up a huge amount of time, and I simply don't have that amount of time to spare. But part of me is curious to do it, just to see what would happen...

Of course, it wouldn't be State. It wouldn't even be State 2.0 - I think I've burned far too many bridges on that score - but I do miss having a place where I can talk about videogames without things instantly descending into rampant fanboyism and petty flame wars. I'd have to come up with a new name and a new angle (example: I'm definitely tempted to register smellsofwii.com, if only to cybersquat it), but after (what is it now?) two years or more since State discombobulated and decapitated itself, I'm surprised not to have found even a close spiritual successor. Not that I've exactly been looking hard for one, but I would have expected word to have reached me by now if there was one. Anyway, thinking about about doing something is one thing - actually whipping up the enthusiasm and making the time to actually *do* it is quite another... Perhaps if enough people say "go on, do it" and pester me about it for the next six months, I might try and set something up, but I wouldn't hold your breath...
Post a Comment