Thursday, July 10, 2008

Byte: This is how we (re)roll

My altoholism shows no signs of abating. I recently completed my second play through of Mass Effect (note: the Liara romance is utterly dull - stick with Ashley if you play a male avatar, she's so much more fun), so I've started off a new hobby: creating alts who look like actresses. I was inspired by the wonderful man who also has a Gillian Anderson crush. Unfortunately, the face editor in Mass Effect isn't even as clever as what you'd find in something like The Sims 2, so it's quite hard to create really good likenesses, but I've done pretty well with lookalikes for Tricia Helfer, Angelina Jolie and Emmanuelle BĂ©art. Well, they're more passing resemblances than true lookalikes, because a lot of what you see in a face is actually determined by the hair, and the haircuts you can choose in Mass Effect are pretty limited, to say the least. Speaking of haircuts, it's quite amusing to play with a blonde character, since all the lighting effects make them look like they use radium shampoo...

I also rolled a Warcraft alt a couple of days ago - a Warlock this time. I had tried the class out briefly a couple of years ago (I got up to around level 15 or something before I junked the character), but now that the levelling has been speeded up and you can wipe through the first 30 levels or so relatively quickly, I fancy trying out the class again. I suppose I should be devoting the time to my Hunter and Mage alts, but they're at the stage where (for various reasons) it's quite hard to quickly level the characters, and I've always been more about the quick win than the long-term goal - the exception to this being Shareth, my Druid - though I'm probably not going to play with her again until the new expansion comes out. I got my 'lock up to level 6 in a smidge over an hour, which is pretty good going. Now I get to decide whether I want to quest in Goldshire (quickly done, but fairly dull) or whether to make the trek to the Draenei starting area (more interesting quests, but a long way to run). The good thing about being a Warlock is that you get obedient minions. The downside is that you can't choose their name, and the imp in particular has very annoying soundbites whenever you ask it to attack an enemy. Roll on the Voidwalker...
Post a Comment