Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Byte: So, I lied...

I'm totally not going to shut up about World of Warcraft. Well, blame the games industry for not putting out anything else on PC worth playing at the moment. Okay, I guess there is Sins of a Solar Empire, which I'm currently reviewing for Videogamer, but I don't really want to pre-empt what I'm going to say in my review here. So you're stuck with me banging on about Warcraft. Sorry...

I spent last night boosting Richard's character with Shareth, since now I don't really have anything better to do with her, other than reputation grinding. We knocked off half a dozen or so "red" quests (i.e. quests that are five levels or more tougher than your character) and got Charlatan from level 32 up to level 34 in just a couple of hours. I even got to partake in a bit of merciless ganking, as some horde idiots made the mistake of going for Richard when they thought I wasn't paying attention. One or two hits later, they knew better. BECAUSE THEY WERE DEAD. There was even an opportunity to do a bit of revenge killing just outside of Southshore, as a level 61 Tauren Hunter was ganking people in town, and just generally making life difficult for people landing at the flight point. So I stealth into Cat form, sneak up behind him, Pounce (so that he's stunned for a few seconds), Mangled his bovine ass a couple of times, Maim (stunning him again) and then did a Shred for the coup-de-grace. He didn't even set his pet on me, not that it would have made any difference... I slaughtered him in six seconds flat and didn't take a single hit. And my gear is shite. If I had epic gear, he never would have known what hit him. His corpse was still lying there over half an hour later, so I'm guessing he logged off or switched characters, feeling a little miffed. I guess doing the swinging paw dance in Cat form over his corpse was rubbing it in a tad. But hey, at least I didn't teabag him.

Rich and I did get a little pissed off with a Blood Elf Paladin, though, as we were making our way past Tauren Mill. He kept ganking Charlatan (one hit kills, he was a level 70), but ran off like a coward when I jumped him in Cat form. It only cost us five or ten minutes of boosting time, but still. If he'd actually stood and fought me, I probably would have been killed (as I only PvP in the game world and don't do battlegrounds), it was just the fact that he ran away from a fair fight that irked. Ganking is par for the course on a PvP server like Zenedar, but not following through on a fight when you initiate it is bad form, really. It's just not cricket. But, as I say myself, cowards live to run away another day, so I guess the onus is on you to stop him from chickening out by murdering him quicker...

Anyway, I think Richard was pleased with his progress, and we accumulated a huge amount of cloth to send to my tailor, so that I could make Charlatan some nice armour for use in a couple of levels. Unfortunately, after topping her up to 225 skill, I then found out that you need to be level 35 as a prerequisite for training to Artisan Tailoring... meaning that Tarithel has nine more levels to gain before she can learn any new recipes. D'oh. I don't find priests that much fun to play, and the only reason I keep Tarithel around is because of her professions skills - I'm very reticent to junk a 225 level Tailor - and more importantly - and 126 skill Enchanter. Enchanting in particular is a real bitch to level - it's taken months to get this far. Nine more levels will be quite painful to get. Though it might not take too long, assuming that Richard is going to be distracted by GTA4 for the next few weeks, I'll probably have time to devote to my low level alts. But, until then, I guess it's Orange Mageweave Shirts all round!
Post a Comment