Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Byte: Random Tangents

This is what I love about the internet. I was just having a chat with my old chum Richard about the merits of various character classes in World of Warcraft, and was talking about how nice it is playing a Hunter, because you have your own private tank (i.e. the pet). Since I use Trillian, rather than MSN Live Messenger for my instant chat, certain words get underlined in the text, hyperlinking them to Wikipedia if they have an entry, and of course, "tank" was underlined. So, veering off on a random tangent, as I have a habit of doing, I opened up the Wikipedia page, and used the disambiguation page to find the entry that defined tank in the context in which I was using it.

Which then lead me to discovering the term "meat shield", which I'd never heard before. Isn't the internet ACE?
Post a Comment