Thursday, March 20, 2008

Byte: Better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable

I told you I was in a dangerous mood... We went shopping at Sainsbury's last night, and they had the Medion laptop with the GeForce 8600 card back in stock again. I ummed and ahhed about it for a few minutes and went home empty-handed. Predictably, I didn't get any sleep last night because there was this gnawing voice at the back of my head going "We wantsss it! My preciousss!", so I resolved to pop back into Sainsbury's first thing this morning, and if it was still there, clearly, it was meant for me.

And now I'm typing you this blog post on it, as I do all the tedious maintenance that you have to do with new PCs - downloading new graphics drivers, OS updates, Spybot, Zonealarm, AdAware, AVG, all the usual stuff. Oh, and installing World of Warcraft, naturally. It will probably take all day to patch, but hey... I'm still a bit wary about it having Vista installed rather than XP, but I will check it out and give it a chance before I take a hatchet to the hard drive. The laptop itself is lovely - a clear, bright screen with no dead pixels, and a nicely-sprung, proper-sized keyboard you could type all day on - which is just as well, since that's what I intend to use it for in the main, writing. Well, that and late-night WoW sessions after I've been chucked off the games rig in the bedroom...
Post a Comment