Thursday, March 06, 2008

Bark/Byte: The Best Thing About Thursdays

...isn't that there's only two more days to go until the weekend and FREEDOM. That's good, but it's not quite as good as realising it's Thursday and you forgot to watch the latest Zero Punctuation that came out yesterday. Again. This week, Devil May Cry 4, and it's one of Yahtzee's better recent efforts.

In other news, I took advantage of the fact that I managed to give myself some kind of food poisoning (doubly ironic, considering that I picked up a copy of The Book of Poisons in Foyles last Saturday) on Tuesday night to spend most of yesterday in bed, feeling pretty sorry for myself and generally miserable. This would not normally be considered to be a good thing, but all the fever dreams I was having inspired an idea for a possible short story or novella I'm going to write. I even made a start on it and wrote the introduction and the first few hundred words of chapter one.

It will, of course, be utterly rubbish and will doubtless never see the light of day, but I am determined that for once I shall at least finish writing the story. I'm not going to go into too many details about the story here, lest someone nicks my idea and does it a whole lot better, but the general premise is a political satire, crossed with a modern world fantasy. I'm not going to say more than that, because knowing me, it probably won't get finished, despite having the best of intentions. I'll probably need a lot of people badgering me to keep writing if I ever want to finish it, but at least the seed has been planted. Whether it will grow is another matter entirely. Stylistically, it's probably going to owe a lot to people like Kurt Vonnegut (in my bed-ridden state, I also took the time to devour Cat's Cradle yesterday, too), Will Self and J.G. Ballard, which is possibly reflective of my utterly cynical view of the Human Race and the world in which we live. If I do get around to finishing it, well, let's just say you shouldn't expect a happy ending...
Post a Comment