Monday, February 25, 2008

Bark: Jolly Good Show

I was most pleased to see No Country For Old Men win four Oscars last night - I'm a rather huge fan of The Coen Brothers (who definitely deserve a 'the' with a capital T), and No Country For Old Men has to rate as one of my favourite films of last year. Javier Bardem fully deserved his Oscar as well - he gave an absolutely mesmerising performance, packed with sociopathic menace. I'm sure Daniel Day-Lewis also deserved his Oscar, too, but I'm not especially inspired to see There Will Be Blood, as I've never seen anything by P.T. Anderson that I've not hated with every fibre of my being. I still want to get those three wasted hours I spent watching Magnolia back - in my book that "film" rates as probably the most spectacular waste of talent and film stock in the history of Hollywood... but I digress.

Overall, I don't think there can be too many complaints about the winners, and it was nice to see Sweeney Todd get an Oscar, even if it was only for Best Art Direction. I will echo Mark Kermode's sentiments, though, and say that it was a shame that Eastern Promises didn't even get nominated for the major awards (barring a nod for Viggo Mortensen in the Best Actor category) - arguably it's a bit too similar to A History of Violence, but it's still one of my favourite films of 2007.

Further, in cultural news... ah, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on!
Post a Comment