Monday, December 10, 2007

Byte: Heresy grows from idleness

After just four levels of Squad Command, I felt inspired to reinstall Dawn of War and played through the first three levels of the campaign last night. As most of you will already know, I'm not a huge fan of RTS games. Dawn of War is one of the few notable exceptions to this rule (the others being Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, Star Wars: Supremacy and Company of Heroes). It's quite hard to explain why I like Dawn of War so much. I was never even a big Warhammer 40,000 fan when I was a kid. A lot of my friends were major Warhammer 40,000 fanboys, but I only ever owned one figure: a Reaver Titan, which I was crestfallen to learn wasn't even one of the most powerful Titans... Serves me right for buying on looks, rather than reading up on the stats. But I digress...

Logically, I shouldn't like Dawn of War. It has all the same repetitive base building at the start of each mission that your average RTS has, but there's just something about the way it handles resources and territory that makes it all tolerable. Also, the game is viscerally spectacular. I love watching Dreadnoughts tromp into battle, tossing aside broken Orks and letting loose with autocannons. It's just so great to watch, especially when you've got four squads of Space Marines, fully tooled up with rocket launchers, blowing the crap out of an Ork encampment. Well, it would appear that I was enjoying things far too much, as I spent all night dreaming I was a Space Marine Brother-Captain, slaughtering Orks with a plasma pistol and Power Sword...

This can't be a good sign.
Post a Comment