Friday, November 16, 2007

Byte: Happiness is a big Mother-Liking TV

As I've been a bit busy lately with reviewing The Witcher, playing MASQ for kicks and also getting stuck into Race 07 (for review), I've been neglecting the consoles again. That, however, is about to change, because I've just eBayed a 3rd-party Xbox HD component lead and a component switcher box, so I can have both my Xbox and my Wii hooked up in HD to the new TV.

I have, of course, messed around a little with the consoles on the new TV, using their standard SCART connections (playing KotOR in gigant-o-vision was just to mouthwatering a prospect to ignore) but without being able to use the RGB SCART socket (which is occupied by the DVD player), I had noticed that the Xbox image was suffering from a little blurring, especially at the edges of the screen; not so badly that it made the games impossible to play (and might have more to do with the fact that KotOR doesn't have a widescreen mode more than anything else), but I did think it would hurt my eyes after a couple of hours - so I thought I might as well go for the component cables to sharpen up the image - after all, what's the point of having an HD TV if you're not going to use the HD bit?

The other reason for getting the HD cable for the Xbrick was that my buddy Charles has been suggesting that I should mod it into a proper media centre, which includes a multi-region DVD player than can up-scale the original DVD output into 720p. Which sounds rather good to me, as it means I can get rid of the old cheapo DVD player I got from ASDA five years ago for about £38 (which I turned into a multi-region player using a remote control hack - gotta love cheap, globalised technology!), meaning there will be enough room in the TV unit for me to sneak in an Xbox 360 next year when Fleur isn't looking. Whoops! Did I say that out loud?
Post a Comment