Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bark: Sixty pence

I almost did it. I almost finished a month between paychecks without going overdrawn for the first time in... well, pretty much since I bought my car, actually. I missed it by sixty-FUCKING-pence. And all because of the interest the bank charged me for being overdrawn the previous month. Well, that's not entirely true - I could have put a fiver's less of diesel into the car at the weekend, but I really don't like the way that banks sneak in these charges in a way that always seems to trip a criteria where they can charge you a little more. It's not like me going sixty pence overdrawn will actually cost them anything, since I was overdrawn while the UK banking system was closed (i.e. the last transaction yesterday tipped me over, while the first transaction this morning was putting my paycheck into my account), but of course, they'll charge me for the privilege. Okay, it's only going to be a couple of pennies, but it's the principle of the thing. I would get really indignant about it, because banks really don't have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to banking charges being totally disproportionate to the actual cost of the facility they're charging you for, but for the sake of sixty pence... it's not worth the extra stress really, is it?
Post a Comment