Saturday, September 08, 2007

Bark: Here come The Fuzz!

I finally got around to watching Hot Fuzz last night.

When I saw the trailer back at the beginning of the year, I thought that it had a pretty equal chance of either being utterly rubbish or seriously good. Of course, my girlfriend didn't want to go and see it, so I decided to put it on our DVD rental list. I'm glad I did, because it's absolutely brilliant. I never was a really big fan of Spaced or Simon Pegg's other stuff, but the central conceit at the heart of Hot Fuzz really struck me as being rather interesting. Not to mention that the supporting cast is absolutely superb - Timothy Dalton, Jim Broadbent, Paul Freeman, Olivia Colman, Martin Freeman, Steve Coogan, the inimitable Bill Bailey - even an uncredited (and unrecognisable) Cate Blanchett.

It's a singularly British film, though it's wonderfully referential of a multitude of American action films (there's a particularly good homage to a climatic scene in Point Break towards the end). The shootout in the town centre is brilliantly staged. Perhaps not quite on a par with a Michael Mann (well, nowhere close, really) but nicely done nonetheless. There are some great gags and fabulous one-liners as well - my favourite line is from Reverend Shooter (no, really) in the shootout in the town square: "Oh, fuck off, grasshopper!"

There are some nice special features on the disc, too - particularly the outtakes (Timothy Dalton's one is an absolute peach) and "Hot Funk" TV version of the scenes where they've overdubbed the swearing with pre-watershed euphemisms - "You cheeky funster!"

I'll have to put Shaun of the Dead on my rent list now, to see how it compares - even though I've never really been much of a fan of the horror film genre.
Post a Comment