Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bark: This Week in Weird News

The story about Jurassic Park 4 reportedly going to feature dinosaurs with guns is only one of the weirdly wonderful things that caught my eye this week.

Practically the first thing I saw on BBC News when I got to work on Monday was this:
"A woman in Australia has been killed by her pet camel after the animal may have tried to have sex with her."

I mean, what a way to go. Being smothered by an amorous camel. Doesn't bear thinking about, really.

Next up is this wonderfully batty story:
"In one of history's more absurd acts of totalitarianism, China has banned Buddhist monks in Tibet from reincarnating without government permission."

You can just picture the scene. A Tibetian monk is on his death bed, and a Chinese Government Official walks in saying - "Remember now, if you reincarnate without our permission we'll put you in jail."

It wouldn't be a post about weird news without an Ananova special:
"Two Swiss students on holiday played frisbee with an object they found on a beach unaware it was a live land mine."
It beggars belief that you can play frisbee with a 6kg land mine (I don't imagine you've be able to throw it very far), but even that pales in comparison to the story of some Floridian handing in a surface-to-air missile launcher during a gun amnesty.
"I didn't know what to do with it, so I brought it here. I took it to three dumps to try to get rid of it and they told me to get lost."
Well, duh! Most recycling centres don't deal with high explosives...

But my favourite thing this week is the story about Third Reich board games being put up for auction later in the month.
"The games include Bombers Over England, a form of bagatelle or primitive pinball where players score points for "bombing" British cities, shipping or lighthouses.

Another, based on Snakes and Ladders, sees players take their U-boats from a German port to the Royal Navy base at Scapa Flow, sink British warships and try to make it back home.

Another is a game where players drop weighted paratroopers onto a representation of the English countryside."
I must be broken, because I really want to try playing them...
Post a Comment