Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Byte: Ucuntu, deriving from the traditional African for "I am a blithering idiot"

I was up until about half one last night, trying valiantly to install Ubuntu 6.06 on the pathetic old Fujitsu-Siemens Celeron laptop I relieved my dear mother of when I donated her my old games rig a couple of weekends back. I had to leave the installer running overnight because it was taking so long (and I do require *some* sleep, after all) and it was still getting absolutely nowhere when I checked on it first thing this morning.

This was because I am a blithering idiot and I didn't check the minimum specs of the install CD before I downloaded it - it requires a minimum of 256MB of RAM, and this poor Celery laptop only has 192MB, 32MB of which are shared with the onboard video. I had intended to stick some extra RAM in it (because you can never have too much RAM), but it appears that even by laptop standards, it is not a recommended thing to try on your own, given where the RAM slot lurks...

What it appears I need instead is Xubuntu, which *will* install on something as old and crappy as my Amilo. I'm taking no chances - I'm abusing the corporate network to download both the regular and Alternate install CDs and will try them tonight. And if that doesn't work, I'm going to cry.

Also, via the medium of ACTUALLY READING THE WEBSITE PROPERLY, I managed to divine why I hadn't been able to install Ubuntu to dual-boot my shiny new games rig. It helps if you download the version designed for the right chip architecture...

D'oh!
Post a Comment