Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bark: Modern life is dull and delusional

Time for a rant... and fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy night.

I think one of the reasons I'm leaning ever closer to becoming an all-out sociopath is because, well... modern life has just become so deathly dull.

We've got to the point where no-one is allowed to take risks anymore (especially children); people are so thin-skinned that they can be mortally offended by anything and everything, even to the point of being offended by things that aren't even being shown in a perfectly legitimate documentary; governments are trying to micro-manage our lives by telling us to obsess about our carbon footprints when they can't even agree amongst themselves that the problem is serious enough to try and tackle by setting hard targets because the carbon trading system doesn't work - and don't get me started on how spending billions on the War on Terror is doing wonders for National Security and civil liberties. I wonder, is the War on Terror a carbon neutral operation? Something tells me that the US and UK governments have some SERIOUS carbon offsetting to do...

It's ridiculous, really, the staggering level of hypocrisy of what we're told to do with our lives when governments do nothing or the exact opposite. Add to that the conflicting signals you get from the media, it's no wonder most people are too petrified to go outside their door. I'm convinced that the human race is going to coddle itself to extinction because people are so afraid and ignorant of everything around them that they'll bore themselves to death, because they don't go out and just live their lives. People need to be stimulated and have their ideas and preconceptions challenged, but now the poltical and social climate is so bad that authors have to self-censor their villain characters for fear of offending some rabid rights group and ruining their careers.

I mean, really. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. It's genuinely laughable. When I was a kid in the playground we knew that people wouldn't always be nice to you and used to say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Now the attitude seems to be "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will make me want to curl up in a corner and commit suicide because I'm so weak-minded and I can't cope if everyone doesn't love me more than life itself." We've become so self-deluding and dishonest that there's just no perspective in the world anymore.

Nowadays when you fight a war, if a single soldier gets killed it's front page news. This is how risk-adverse we've become. HELLO? IT'S A WAR. SOLDIERS GET KILLED. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIGHT A WAR! IF YOU CAN'T COPE WITH THAT, DON'T FUCKING START THEM! Things were much more honest and upfront a couple of thousand years ago when if you wanted to have a war, you'd put twenty thousand men in a big field, let them grind each other to pieces for a couple of days and that would be it - job done. Brutal, ugly, crude, yes - but that's the purpose of war. You can't fight wars without people being hurt and lives being ruined. Yet that's what we seem to want these days - victimless war - because obviously technology's so much better these days; we've come up with much cleverer and more precisely targetted ways of mangling human flesh. People have protected themselves so much from the realities of life that they've become detatched from it - and all that does is make the problem worse, because that unrealistic expectation just gets magnified and reinforced.

This is why I'm taking the view that I don't give a fuck about my carbon footprint. I don't care if I have a carbon footprint the size of a woolly mammoth, because by the time I'm dead we'll have found out that we really should have started worrying about it fifteen years ago and that we're way beyond the tipping point on climate change as it is... So go outside, do something exciting. Buy a sports car that does less than 20mpg. Spend a fortune on building a Transformers cosplay Optimus Prime suit. Fly around the world. Anything that will piss off the political correctness brigade... because they're so uptight they're just begging to be pissed off, really. Fingers crossed, their moral outrage will give them heart attacks and neatly remove them from the gene pool. Preferably *before* they've had a chance to have kids...

Oh, and if anything I've written here offends you... I would say I'm sorry, but an insincere apology is worse than no apology at all, so FUCK OFF. And don't come back. We don't want your kind here.
Post a Comment