Friday, February 02, 2007

Byte: What have I done?

Never, ever use the internet when you're feeling a little depressed. After the utter abortion that was my birthday last Saturday, and having worked 12 days straight for a total of something over 100 hours, I did something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now.

I bought a new PC.

Not just any PC mind - a dual-core Athlon 64 X2 5200+ with 2GB of RAM, a 640GB Raid array, a Soundblaster X-Fi and a pair of SLI'ed 512MB GeForce 7950GT's. Okay, not *quite* at the bleeding edge, but then I didn't want to spend three grand on just a new tower. £1200 is quite enough already. So the old plastic flexed (and creaked a little) as I made the order, but if I get a solid two years out of this PC, like I did with my current one, it's money well spent. And at least when the new Unreal Tournament comes out later this year, I can look forward to being able to play it with everything ramped up to the max. Besides, having a new PC will hopefully pay for itself, as I won't have to turn down any commissions for new games that are technically demanding and would make my current PC weep electron tears from the CPU.

When the new PC arrives in the next week or so, my current PC will be reformatted and shipped up to my parents, where it will be swapped for their horrible little Celeron laptop, which I will completely pare down to bare necessities, so I can use it as a word processor on the move. Okay, and maybe an install of UFO: Enemy Unknown and Star Wars: Supremacy will sneak on there as well. (Given that's just about all the thing is capable of running)

So, yayyy! New PC! Yet, nayyy! Another grand on my credit card! But... NEW PC!

YAYYYYYYYY!
Post a Comment