Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Byte: A job well done

A subscriber on the gamesTM Issue 50 feedback thread:

The review of Battlefield [2142] has saved me £40


My work here is done... From that statement, I think I can rest assured that the score I gave it when I submitted the review stood. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I pick up my copy from Smiths.

I can't believe some of the scores that Battlefield 2142 is getting. 8/10 from EDGE? Where they even playing the same code? Actually, I know that PCG (and thereby the rest of Future) had the same code as I did - I was playing with Tom Francis when I was doing my review for gTM. Surely it's no coincidence that all the reader review scores for the game from Metacritic, Eurogamer to Gamerankings are all in the 5-7 out of 10 range. So why is the review average over 8/10? Especially when you've got people saying "this is nothing more than a $50 mod" yet still giving it 85%? The only reason I can think of is because the reviewers get to play it when the servers aren't so busy, and they're not being kicked off every ten minutes because DICE forgot their quality control. Again.

I truly hope you haven't bought this game, because it's so bug-ridden and desperately average, I couldn't wait to uninstall it from my system...
Post a Comment