Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Byte: Whoops!

I had to do something I've never done before today. I had to correct a review. Remember my gripe about the power management dial in Auto Assault? Well, the publisher's PR mentioned this in their feedback to my editor when they saw it in my review. So I went back to look at it again: and it turns out that it *does* actually say "Offense" where it should. EXCEPT THAT YOU CAN'T TELL BECAUSE OF THE FONT, UNLESS YOU'RE ABOUT THREE INCHES FROM THE SCREEN. I've played Auto Assault for the best part of fifty hours, and it annoyed me all that time, and it's even more annoying now that I know it was actually right in the first place. Not that I made a mistake in not seeing it, I freely admit to those, but that the design wasn't clear enough in the first place. That and the fact that the PR seems resolutely unable to accept the correction to the review and the editor's apology/clarification appended to the bottom with anything approaching good grace.

It's a frustrating game, Auto Assault - it has all the elements there to be great, but it's just not polished enough. Naturally, I still stand by the mark. If the PR doesn't like it, then tough. It's not like it's been getting spectacularly good reviews anyway...
Post a Comment