Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Byte: Technology's only good when it works

I'm having a bit of technical trouble at the moment. The first problem is with a database ID I need for work. I've been assigned the ID, but the password has gone missing somewhere between the ID being approved and the password being mailed to my first line manager. And without knowing the original password, I can't have it reset. Great. So I have either the option of whinging to the database administrators about it, or resubmitting my access request, neither of which are guaranteed to get swift results. Though given that the WorldWide Management Information team haven't been that forthcoming in telling me what I actually need the ID for, maybe there's no rush anyway...

I also seem to have angered the USB Gods, too. Not only does my Nintendo WiFi dongle refuse to work, my USB stick MP3 player seems to have given up the ghost as well. Every time I plug it into a USB port to try and swap over some tracks, it simply turns itself off. And what's the use of an MP3 player where you can't change the music? I went to the Packard Bell support site (it's one of their old AudioKeys), and the all the "support" they were able to give me was effectively "You're out of warranty - suck it up, sweetheart. Why don't you go to our online shop?"

I don't know why I bother sometimes.
Post a Comment