Thursday, March 02, 2006

Byte: Gamepad Grrrr

I'm not having much luck with gamepads at the moment. Last night my 360 pad for Windows just decided to stop working, between reboots of my machine. From working at lunchtime to not working in the evening (simply refusing to be detected by the operating system, no matter which USB port on the machine I used), Microsoft have failed me in the hardware department for the first, and possibly final, fatal time. I'm not buying another one, given that I've only had this pad a month or so, and it's a bit of an indictment of Xbox 360 build quality in general: gamepads should be practically indestructible. I've only used this one for about five or six hours at most.

Trust it to happen at the absolute worst possible time, too. I've just gotten PC preview code of Evolution GT, which I like rather a lot, as you'll see if you click on the link to my PS2 preview (my first piece of games journalism for the PS2, incidentally), and I'm really getting into SimBim's GTR at the moment, as well.

Instead, I've just ordered a Xbox to USB converter cable from DarkPlanets, since I still have two perfectly good Xbox controllers in the house, and I'm not going to waste another £18 on a 360 pad if they only last half a dozen hours. To be honest, this is probably what I should have done in the first place.

*sighs*
Post a Comment