Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Byte: In the key of G15

I managed to convince my girlfriend to buy me a Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard for my birthday, and it turned up (from Komplett via ParcelForce) this afternoon.

First impressions: It's HUGE. It *barely* fits in the keyboard tray of my computer desk. I mean with millimetres to spare on either side. It's a stunning piece of kit, though. Whilst the LCD screen may be a total gimmick, whilst you're in Windows, it has a screensaver that alternately shows you your RAM and CPU occupancy and the date, time plus whether you've got any e-mail messages or not. The CPU occupancy gauge alone should prove handy to see whenever an application has crashed, anyway...

What I *really* wanted it for was the key backlighting, which is a very sexy neon blue, and doesn't disappoint. I can't wait to try it out tonight. The build quality of the keyboard is first rate, and the keystrokes are a lot quieter than my old Microsoft IntelliType Pro: just the thing for late night gaming sessions when you don't want to disturb the missus! The macro recording software looks pretty decent too - you can set up profiles for just about any game you have installed. I've been recording macros for the special attacks in Jedi Academy, which should give my young apprentice Philippe a rude surprise, if I ever get around to playing him online! It's not cheating, it's maximising the use of freely available technology! Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it...
Post a Comment