Monday, September 19, 2005

Byte: Life Begins At Level 40

I'm saving the pennies this week. Mainly because I ended up spending £60 on books this weekend - though admittedly, most of it was just on one book. All that money didn't go on books for work, thanksfully. I also picked up yet another Heinlein, a copy of the Iliad (which I've been meaning to reread for years) plus a handful of the 70th Anniversary Pocket Penguins which include the wonderfully titled In Defence of English Cooking by George Orwell, and Design Faults in the Volvo 760 Turbo by Will Self. Just as well that I read at 100 pages an hour, really, because I've got a lot of pages to turn over the next few weeks...

I'm also saving the pennies on World of Warcraft, because my main character is closing in on Level 40, meaning that I need to scrape up the best part of 100GP if I want to buy a mount. Which I do, so I'm going to have to grind leather and try to flog it in the Auction House for my next couple of levels. I really need to do a few more instances, too, but unfortunately an instance will take a couple of hours to do from end to end, which means that I can't really realistically do one on a weeknight and since my weekends seem to be booked up until 2012, I might as well resign myself to gaining levels the hard way. Zenedar's becoming very much a "mature" server these days - the majority of the population seem to be over Level 30, so it's getting that much harder to find parties for questing, since most people seem to be mucking about in the Battlegrounds, which I've been steadfastly avoiding, because the game's combat model isn't really that well-suited to capture the flag. Still, at least that makes it much less likely to be corpse-camped when you're soloing. The new patch, other than temporarily breaking the ship system that shuttles players from continent to continent, seems to have added a few nice things.

My favourite is the Dressing Room: you can Ctrl-click on any equippable item, and you can see how it would appear if you were to have it. This is brilliant for the Auction House in particular, as it'll prevent you from buying a new hat (for example) that doesn't look quite as cool as the one you already have; because that's what's important, isn't it? To hell with the stats. I want to know if my hat colour coordinates with my Glyphed Cloak and Blue Linen Shirt...
Post a Comment