Friday, August 19, 2005

Bark: La derniere nuit

In 24 hours I'll be home, hopefully either typing this up, or playing the French copy of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn I found today in Belfort (which I bought to help widen my French vocabulary - plus I wanted to replay it, and this version was on DVD, and only 15 Euros for the game and the Throne of Bhaal expansion pack)

It's been a great holiday, but in many ways I can't wait to get home. Mentally, it's very tiring to have to concentrate and try to decipher a foreign language 24/7 for three weeks. Ideally, I'd need another week off to recover from my holiday and get used to dealing with people speaking my own language again. That said, it'll almost be good to get back to work. It seems like it's been an eternity since I've seen my friends there. It'll be good to catch up - plus I reckon I'm going to be very popular with the girls in my team for bringing back a huge selection box of Swiss chocolate for the team to share...

I do have a few regrets this holiday: Namely not being able to take photos from the top of the Eiffel Tower; nor being able to get a complete set of Force FX Lightsabers (Anakin Skywalker's, Darth Vader's and Mace Windu's) from an amazing comic and sci-fi trinket store in Paris's Latin Quarter (even though the total cost would have been around 450 Euros); I also regret not killing more bastard-bitch mosquitos, but as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I need to preserve them as evidence in my legal case against God. So that's a minor regret compared to the lightsabers.

My final evening in Alsace has been made interesting (and slightly smelly) thanks to the fact that we have no water, because of quite a large fire earlier in the village. The fire appliance attending the scene (from what I saw, a burnt out car, and the burning crops in the field it had taken refuge in) has used practically the entire water supply for the village until tomorrow: only a plaintive dribble is coming through the taps - there's no water pressure left in the village reservoir at all. So we can't even flush the cludgeys. You can fill in the blanks from here, right?

Just another reason to be grateful to be returning to the mosquito-less urban sprawl tomorrow evening...
Post a Comment