Monday, July 25, 2005

Byte: Warning: Hitchhikers May Be Escaping Convicts

I was staying with my Canadian friends Chris and Tanya in London this weekend. I've been gradually turning Chris to the Dark Side over the last few months, ever since he bought his new PC. Playing PC games over at Chris's place is extra special, because he has his PC hooked up to a projector. Meaning that we play on an eight foot wide screen.

So, late on Saturday night, and throughout Sunday afternoon, I was introducing Chris to the joys of Deus Ex, plus steering him through a couple of missions on GTA: Vice City and Operation Flashpoint. The best part of the weekend, however, was playing through the last couple of levels of Halo. I'd never really had enough patience with Halo to grind my way past The Library, so I'd never gotten to the last part of the game where you revisit the Truth And Reconciliation and the Pillar of Autumn. The final Warthog run to get to the fighter with which you escape Halo is absolutely *mental*. If you've played it, picture how overwhelming the experience will be on an eight foot screen, viewed from about six feet away. My friend Chris actually gets motion-sickness from playing on the projector after and hour or so (though it doesn't affect me, funnily enough - I guess I'm more used to fooling my brain into seeing 2D images as 3D). So I'm leaping around, doing jumps and road raging over Covenant troops in this Warthog, and poor old Chris is trying to stop himself from turning as green as the Master Chief's armour... A great final level for a game, though - don't fight, just run!

It's a shame you can't co-op on the PC version. That would be awesome on the big screen. One of these days I'll have to take over the Xbrick and see if we can get it hooked up to the projector for some co-op thrills.
Post a Comment