Thursday, December 09, 2004

Bark: Bad Dreams

I had a very strange nightmare this morning. I don't often remember my dreams, but this one was more disturbing than most.

I was staying with my parents, sitting down, having a drink, having a chat. Dad's an Old School Scot - traditional, a bit old fashioned (despite a fascination with new technology) and sometimes he says things that drives my Mum up the wall. They're both very short-tempered, and my Mum is quite emotionally brittle - very easily upset.

We're talking about the changes in society and about how women are now much freer to do what they want to do, rather than just stay at home and be a dutiful housewife. Well, Dad goes off on one (as he often does when having a drink) and starts arguing with Mum. The comments inevitably get personal and Mum asks what Dad thinks she's there for in their relationship. Dad unwisely, and semi-jokingly, says "To do the cooking" - and that's it. Mum just flips and storms out.

I say to Dad that it would probably be a good idea at this point to go and apologise for upsetting Mum. As he gets up and goes to the door, it opens, and Mum steps back into the room. Dad starts to apologise, but doesn't get more than a couple of words out of his mouth, because Mum just starts hitting him. Now, Dad's a big guy - not particularly tall (around 5'8") but he's big, strong and stocky. Not the kind of guy you'd want to meet in a dark alley in Glasgow, if you see what I mean. Mum's a couple of inches shorter than him, and not exactly well built, but her first blow just pummels him with absolutely manic strength, knocking him to his knees.

I leap up to try to stop her, but she just keeps hitting him - hitting him so hard his neck snaps and gets twisted around backwards like a Barn Owl looking over its shoulder. Dad's got his arms up in supplication, trying to fend off the blows but they keep coming, his face wrenched into a shocked rictus grin, utterly powerless. I'm there yelling for her to stop, as I try and get Dad's head facing back forwards again, but she just pushes me away and keeps hitting him, screaming with blind rage.

And then I wake up. Fucking mental.
Post a Comment