Monday, November 01, 2004

My wallet lies bleeding


With the impending arrival of Half-Life 2, and the death of my DVD drive last week, I decided this morning that the time has come to get a new PC. So having kept my eye on the market for a good six months now, I found an online retailer that sells Alienware spec Athlon 64s without the Alienware pricetag, and with a very similar Return To Base warranty that should guarantee trouble free computing. The fateful decision was made all the more easier by the fact that my expenses got paid into my account this morning, and that I get paid next week. My wallet now sits in my pocket with its guts ripped out, having haemorraged £980 to pay for my new toy, though since £820 of that came from my expenses anyway, it's not so bad, really. I'm used to having an overdraft, and since I get paid next week, that's not going to last long, anyway.


The spec of the machine is worth the immediate financial pain, anyway, particularly when you factor in that all the games I want between now and Christmas have been pre-ordered anyway. Once you read the specification below, I'm sure you'll agree it's money well spent, and should ensure that I don't have to worry about upgrading for the next couple of years.


Athlon 64 3500

1GB DDR400 RAM

SATA 160GB 7200rpm Hard Drive with 8MB cache

ATI Radeon X800 XT with 256MB and DVI

Soundblaster Audigy LS 5.1

16x/48x DVD/CD-ROM

52x32x52 CD-RW (and all the other bells and whistles, inc. Firewire, USB 2, etc)


Fleur will probably have a fit when it arrives (though at least she'll have to admit that it's got a sexier case; nice and shiny in burnished silver), and I've not decided what to do with the other tower yet, but all of a sudden I can't wait until it and Half-Life 2 arrive (probably in the same week)...

Post a Comment