Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Sold! To the Belgian lady who thankfully doesn't have anything to do with those nasty lawyers.



#state can rejoice. My reign of terror on State is over. I'd personally like to thank all the people on #state who've gone out of their way to make my life difficult by questioning and second-guessing my every decision over the last 18 months, and who over the last couple of days have managed to foster a completely unwelcoming atmosphere to anyone who'd like to express a little creativity, or actually contribute anything other than snide, vicious (and in some cases throughly unjustified) criticism to the forum and website or offer an opinion that differs from yours.


Well done. You won. You've finally managed to kill the website, and you've made my time in charge so utterly miserable that I just can't be bothered with you anymore. You've shouted so long and so hard that you've drowned out the rest of the forum telling them that no, they're not interested in a website, that no, we don't need any moderation, and no, that we don't need to write things because it's already been discussed on IRC and in the forum. Well, thank you for your wisdom and guidance, because I don't know what we ever would have done if we didn't have you to tell us that your opinions outweigh the other 360-odd people's on the forum. Sorry, but I'm not going to sit down and take abuse from people who just criticise and bitch without making any effort to actively change the forum to make it more like the wonderful utopia they keep telling us #state is.


Let me tell you a little secret. #state isn't State. Never has been, and probably never will be, because IRC isn't like a forum, which all of you seem to conveniently forget. You've formed yourself a nice little chattering cabal of elitist know-it-alls who think that somehow you're representative of the forum - well, sorry to break this to you, but you're wrong. You're no more representative of State than I am. The only difference between you and me is that I've invested time, money and a lot of effort into trying to improve State. All you've done is whine, whinge, criticise and try to pull apart things that other people might actually want.


You obviously think that you can run State better than I can, well, here's your chance. You've decided that State doesn't need a creative outlet or to give people the opportunity to practice their writing skills and maybe get into the industry we all love so much. No, you've decided that State just needs to be a place to talk about games. Well, time to start practicing what you preach, and now that I'm conveniently out of the way, maybe you can stop bitching long enough to actually do it.


If you can turn State into your moderation free paradise of games chat, I'll actually be pleased. I'll accept that I've been wrong over the last 18 months, and this pill sitting in my stomach will be slightly less bitter. But if I'm sitting here in six months time, and nothing has changed... well, don't expect me to be terribly tactful in my criticism. So, #state, Fuck You very much. Thanks for the memories.

Post a Comment