Thursday, March 04, 2004

Refuge



Since I'm little depressed at the moment, I have taken refuge in two of the things closest to my heart; KOTOR and a decent Merlot. I'm two thirds through my fourth full play through KOTOR, this time with an evil bitch Dark Side Scout/Jedi Guardian. I've found a few more side quests this time around - the Genohadaran assassin quest is quite good, and nets you a lot of nice gear that you can sell for really rather nice prices at the Yavin trading post.


A lot of the shine now has come off the game, on its fourth time through, as there are no real surprises anymore, but it's nice to explore a few more of the particularly nasty and cruel dialogue trees. It's still a highly enjoyable game, and I reckon I've probably devoted as much time to this now as I have with Baldurs Gate II, which is probably the highest compliment I can pay to a game. If you still haven't played this, I pity your poor, desolate, empty lives.


Since I was completely underwhelmed by your suggestions for new music a week or so back, I finally got around to taking some of the music advice a certain Mr Gillen gave me, oooh, a good year or two ago. For the first time, I saw a Mogwai CD (Happy Songs For Happy People - the irony of the CD's title is not lost on me at this point) in a shop for less than £16, so I picked it up, along with Different Class by Pulp and Mezzanine by Massive Attack (two albums I'd been after for a while, but wasn't going to necessarily go out of my way to get) in a 3 for 2 offer at the local VShop.


I'm sure most of you dear readers already have heard of Mogwai, but for those few of you who haven't, they're a Glaswegian band, whose genre of choice I lack the music knowledge to properly categorise. Suffice it to say, they don't let piddling little things like lyrics get in the way of their music. As a person who'd much rather listen to score than song, this pleases me. I was surprised by just how much I like them - I've been listening to the album almost constantly over the last few days. It's very good music for work. It's mainly electric guitar and synth, with real melody, soul and a passionate edge. One of the tracks reminded me a bit of the incidental music from Operation Flashpoint - which is no bad thing. One of the best albums I've bought in ages. I'll have to have a trawl on eBay or Amazon for some of their other stuff.

Post a Comment