Wednesday, February 04, 2004

New Look



You may have noticed the change of Blog template. This is because Blogger screwed up my old one when it didn't save properly after replacing the commenting system. I couldn't find my old template, so you're stuck with this one, which is slightly less pretty, but it'll do.



Anyway, I'm not here to talk about that. I could bore you with how work is shit, because I've got SEVEN RS/6000 servers to look after, despite not having any handover from the previous SysAdmin, nor having had any previous SysAdmin experience, or having had any training on AIX at all. But you don't want to hear about that.



You want to hear me talking about what I've been playing recently. You might not know it yet, but you do. Yes. Which is good, because I've been playing quite a few things recently that aren't KOTOR, as I'm sure you're all sick to death of me telling you about *that*.



First up - Jedi Academy. Phil got me this as his contribution to this half-year's server rent for State. He'll be pleased to know that I've completed it in a little over a week. Which is more than I ever did with Jedi Outcast. Yes, it has silly jumping puzzles, but thankfully ones that are actually logical and plainly mapped out, rather than the dire insta-death maps in Outcast. I only got lost and couldn't find a critical path twice in the entire game, and that was only because I wasn't looking *quite* hard enough, not because they weren't adequately signposted - again, unlike in Outcast.



The general standard of the level design is much better in Academy, though there are a couple of levels that simply don't work - notably the swoop bike level, which is fun for - oh - *seconds*. The mutant rancor level is similarly annoying, and I got through it more by accident than design. Even so, being able to customise your character and lightsaber is satisfying, and Raven have improved even more upon the lightsaber mel?e combat model, which was pretty flawless to begin with. Happiness is a warm double-bladed lightsaber. Dual-wielding lightsabers is pretty good, too.



Raven have also had the sense to throw in lots more Reborn/Dark Jedi duals, which livens things up considerably, though it does give the slight feeling of repetitiveness. Not that you're really going to care all that much - the lightsaber combat is so good. I've not tried multiplayer yet, so I can't comment on that, but it's a fun little game. Not as extraordinary as KOTOR, but fun all the same.



The other game I've been playing lots recently is Bloodrayne. I've posted my thoughts of this on State, so I'll let you read about it there.

Post a Comment