Thursday, January 15, 2004

Evil



There are more KOTOR spoilers therein, so the same thing as before applies:



If you have any intention of playing KOTOR in the near to immediate future, turn back now.



I'm not going to be responsible for any impingement upon your enjoyment of the game via spoilerage.



You have been warned.



Last chance to turn back.



Okay, here we go:



I'm on my third run through of KOTOR, this time playing through as a (male) Dark Side Soldier/Jedi Consular. Having completed the game twice already (as a Light Side male Scout/Jedi Guardian and as a Light Side female Scoundrel/Jedi Sentinel), I'm finding it really difficult to be evil. I'm about ten hours into the game (just completed Tatooine last night to find my second Star Map) and there was an incident on Tatooine that really affected me.


There's a widow who begs you to sell a Wraid skull that he dead husband got whilst hunting in the desert - prior to getting killed, natch. The previous two times through I was a good Boy Scout, and sold it for her without making a profit, getting lovely Light Side points. This time, I simply threatened her and stole it from her, and she says "You might well have just killed me, you monster!"


OUCH.


Unlike Baldur's Gate, which just throws Flaming Fist Mercenaries at you if you're too evil, here KOTOR allows you to be as evil as you like, but makes the consequences emotional, rather than just throwing extra enemies at you. Getting Mission to tell her brother to drop dead is pretty uncomfortable - particularly when you've seen how sweet she *should* be. You get the feeling that you're aiding in her corruption, and you are - it's genuinely unsettling. Again, the quality of the writing, as well as the voice acting is superb. Man, this game is ACE.

Post a Comment