Thursday, November 27, 2003

The Judgment Of Mad Iain



I decided not to bother with the Invisible War demo last night. It wasn't just that I couldn't be bothered with cracking out the laptop and doing the file transfer, Fleur's been wanting to get early nights so I only had two hours gaming time, and I figured that wasn't going to be enough to play the demo properly.

I'm half tempted not to play it at all, as I don't really want to spoil the impact of the full game, and I'd rather play a finished product than an unpolished and unrepresentative demo.


So, last night, with my precious 120 minutes of gaming time, I decided to try and finish off Neverwinter Nights. To my great surprise, I did. The whole of Chapter Four only took me two hours. I'm certain that I didn't I didn't play through every little side quest in the final chapter, but at Level 8/9 Fighter/Blackguard, you don't exactly need the extra experience.


The Mad Iain Judgment? The ending was a bit anti-climatic, on the whole. I did like the way Sharwyn pulls you aside as you get into the endgame - "Let's chat a bit" - but the actual end fight with Morag wasn't quite as apocalyptic as the fight with Sarevok at the end of Baldur's Gate, for example. I also was a little disappointed with the way it ends in the actual in game engine. Haedraline ticked me off for being an evil sod, but did I get back to Castle Never for the fanfares from Lord Nasher and a congratulatory snog with Sharwyn or Aribeth? (who I'd managed to save from her vengeful path of self-destruction)


No. Bang! Uber-ambiguous Cutscene. Not particularly impressive. Still, at least I managed to complete it, which is more than I've ever managed with Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. Overall, it's a very good game - it doesn't stray too far from AD&D staples, but that's not too much of A Bad Thing, if you never get the time or the opportunity to play Pen 'n' Paper AD&D. The upcoming Hordes Of The Underdark expansion pack should add a bit more longevity, and the extra tilesets, character customisations, etc, should really allow people to start to do something special with the Aurora SDK, as finding decent mods for NWN has been pretty hard so far. I'm tempted to try and write one myself, but I'm not sure I've got enough time to invest. With the gold edition being £30, it's a good investment for 80 odd hours of action - and that's if you only play through it once.


Finally, a totally games unrelated Judgment.


There's a guy at work who has a blue SMART car, one of these tiny super-mini Mercedes A-class cars. If that in itself wasn't bad enough, he's stuck "2 Fast 2 Furious" stickers in the windows, and put two huge silver stripes down the centre of the bodywork.


PAINTING YOUR CAR BLUE, STICKING TACKY DECALS TO THE WINDOWS AND THEN PUTTING SILVER STRIPES DOWN IT *WON'T* MAKE YOUR FUCKING SMART CAR LOOK LIKE A DODGE FUCKING VIPER!!


Honestly. Who on Earth does he think he's trying to kid?

Post a Comment