Friday, November 14, 2003

Analogue


Fleur was out painting the town rouge with the rest of her Languages Department last night, so I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with a couple of pints of beer, a chinese takeaway (Beef with satay sauce - mmmmm, cow-tastic!) and Vice City.


I'm having to replay the game from scratch, as it appears that it doesn't like using old save games from a previous installation. I'm not sure if this is to do with the time stamp on the files, or the fact the the previous installation was on ME (on a FAT32 file system) whereas it's now on XP (with an NTFS file system).


I'm not overly bothered - it's been a while since I've played the game extensively anyway, and it's hardly a chore playing through such a good game again. Particularly now that I've got my gamepad working - it makes such a difference when driving the vehicles (though I have to switch back to mouse & keyboard when on foot - which is no bad thing). Analogue steering is an absolute godsend, though you're still stuck with a twitchy on-off throttle. I even discovered the way you can shift your weight forward and back on the bikes, which I hadn't found out about with keyboard control. I spent a good 15 minutes driving up and down Ocean Beach pulling wheelies on a Sanchez dirt-bike. I haven't quite mastered the art of the stoppie yet, however.


I also got GTAIII installed, having figured out that like Vice City, it was the fact I'd had previous save games copied over that was preventing the game from running. I'm still not sure about GTAIII. Whilst it's got production values that shame most other titles, when you compare it to Vice City, I find it's seriously wanting - the music's crap, the player character is devoid of any personality at all, and the game just lacks that edge of grandeur that Vice City has. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but Vice City is *so* much better. GTAIII is the precocious young child to Vice City's seasoned Master.

Post a Comment