Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Power



I finally seem to have sorted out my PC problems over the weekend. Having narrowed it down to a power management problem, with either the motherboard or the power supply being the culprit, I decided to replace the cheapest component first - the power supply. I bimbled into my local PC World and picked up a new 400W PSU for about £40, took it home and installed it in about five minutes.


I had a long, hard look at my old power supply, and the first thing I noticed was that it was only a 250W PSU - which began to explain many things. With a power hungry P4 chip, a GeForce 4 Ti4600, a Soundblaster Audigy, a DVD drive and a CD-RW to energise, I suspect that the poor thing was running at peak power output for the last 15 months, and finally gave out, hence the erratic nature of the problem.


Replacing the PSU seems to have fixed it, and I've managed four days trouble free gaming and DVD watching since, which is a relief, since there's no way I could have afforded to buy a new mobo, CPU and memory. So I've reinstalled X-Wing Alliance and Freespace 2 and I'm happily annoying Fleur with the Force Feedback Joystick vibrating on the desk...

Post a Comment