Friday, May 16, 2003

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!



I've decided I *do* need to say more about the Half-Life 2 videos I linked to yesterday.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever been as excited about a bit of video game footage, well, EVER. Half-Life 2 shows phenomenal promise - even though the Source engine being used for it was feature-locked last September, it easily looks the most advanced engine currently being used in games development. The engine tech demo demonstrates the incredible Havoc physics engine, which is by far the most "real world" I've seen in a game. The graviton gun which you use to fling objects around looks great fun, as does the beach buggy you see Gordon using to fight one of the Terminator aerial HK-style Scanner with. The way the wrecked cars get recoiled by the Scanner's gunfire in Video 7 is massively impressive.


The AI looks pretty good, with enemies ducking in and out of cover, etc, and what can I say about the Pheremone Grenade chasing Ant Lions? It's like watching the opening Klendathu scene in Starship Troopers. Most jaw-dropping of all, however are the Striders. They look absolutely fearsome, like an organic War Of The Worlds machine. I really can't wait to play this game,....

Post a Comment